Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Movie standards

One night when I was 8 or 9 years old, my parents decided to rent a movie for a family activity. We went down to the video rental store and they picked out Ladybugs (1992). It’s a movie about a guy who ends up coaching a girl’s soccer team, but sneaks his fiancĂ©e's son onto the team. (I didn't actually remember much more than the name; I had to look it up on IMDB today.)

We brought it home and started watching it. The humor and plot were a bit over my head, so I wasn’t really paying attention to the movie. Halfway through the movie, though, I remember Mom and Dad deciding that the movie wasn’t something they wanted to have in our home. They stopped the movie right there and took it back. They explained that the movie had crude humor that they didn’t like and didn’t want in their home.

I’ve always remembered the lesson they taught that day with their actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment