Sunday, May 9, 2010

Family bike rides

When Nick and I had learned to ride our bikes, I remember going on family bike rides often. (Was it for Family Home Evening? I don’t remember.) Dad had a plastic seat attached to the back of his bike, so we’d strap Shawn in there and Nick and I would ride along. We usually rode east along 16th Ave up to where it met up with 18th Ave, then down the steep hill toward North Bonneville Drive. I had a number of friends over in that neighborhood, so we’d usually ride past a few of their houses.

My favorite destination was always Jared Moench’s house. Their driveway was made of three large concrete squares, but the eastmost square had a small 1’x1’ square inside it, as if there had previously been a pole there or something. I liked to pretend it was a button that would do something dramatic (like shooting down missiles), and I’d ride my bike in circles around the button until just the right moment and then ride straight over it.

I’m sorry to say that no missiles were ever launched, but they were fun bike rides anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment